Here you will find papers and other resources mentioned in the class. They will be added as the course progresses.
Slides (Password protected)
- Erisman et al 2008: How a century of ammonia synthesis changed the world
- Mehta et al 2019: A high-bias, low-variance introduction to Machine Learning for physicists
- Mermin 2005 What I’d Like to Know about 2105
- Schmidt et al 2016 The quantitative and condition-dependent Escherichia coli proteome
Wadhwaa et al 2019 Torque-dependent remodeling of the bacterial flagellar motor
Goldstein 2018 Are theoretical results ‘Results’? Please enjoy the abstract of this paper.
Meister 2016 Physical limits to gagnetogenetics A rigorous critique of high profile papers apparently at odds with established physics.
Videos: vignettes in physical biology Organized lecture list; Youtube channel link: Rob uses the space afforded to video lectures to explore in (rich, personally-inflected) detail some key stories of physics and biology.
- Gunawardena 2014 Models in biology: ‘accurate descriptions of our pathetic thinking’ History says that (mathematical) models are in fact central to biological discovery. What roles do they serve?
1978 Kundera on The Novel Carlisle 1985 A Talk With Milan Kundera
- Luddington with Wallace, et al, 2012 Organelle Size Equalization by a Constitutive Process
Phillips 2015 Theory in Biology: Figure 1 or Figure 7?
- Wigner 1960 The unreasonable effectiveness of mathematics in the natural sciences